You would possibly see loads of candy potato recipes on my weblog over the following month. I need to put a patio in our yard, so I’m decided (decided!) to win the North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission’s No More Mallows Blogger Recipe Contest. So, having the attention of the tiger and willpower and issues like that, I made a decision to begin issues off massive by making candy potato caramels.
When I did a Google seek for “sweet potato caramels recipe,” all I discovered had been a bunch of pages about Morinaga candy potato caramels, which I occurred to have purchased after we had been in Japan just a few years in the past. While they’re scrumptious, they’re not the buttery, gooey form of caramels we’re used to within the US. They form of have the feel of a Starburst with a really gentle caramel taste. I needed to make use of candy potatoes to make loopy decadent caramels. The variety that make you weak within the knees. Having by no means made caramels earlier than, I figured it might take me just a few tries to good them, however I shocked myself and obtained them proper the primary time through the use of the cooking directions and proportions from this caramel recipe after which tweaking them slightly.
I debated whether or not I ought to add cardamom or chipotle powder to my candy potato caramels, however I settled on the trio of cinnamon, ginger, and allspice as an alternative as a result of I felt that they might attraction to most palates. This mixture of spices makes these caramels nearly style like candy potato casserole. (Sweet potato casserole, however higher!) For a Japanese twist, omit the spices altogether and prime with black sesame seeds as an alternative. And though the title of this recipe contest is No More Mallows, in case you actually needed to, you could possibly permit the caramel to chill after which wrap it round marshmallows.
These are time-consuming and labor intensive to make, however they’re so value it. And they’re undoubtedly the form of caramels that make you swoon slightly once you eat them.
Spiced Sweet Potato Caramels
These candy potato caramels are wealthy, decadent, and sure, they actually style like candy potatoes.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 36
- Four tbsp unsalted butter (plus extra for greasing the baking dish)
- 1 small candy potato, pierced with fork
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/eight tsp floor ginger
- 1/eight tsp allspice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup mild corn syrup
- 1/three cup maple syrup
- 1/Four cup water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pepitas, pecans, or sea salt for garnish (elective)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line the underside and sides of an eight x eight inch baking dish with parchment paper. (If you narrow a slit in every nook of the paper, lining the perimeters is straightforward—for a visible demonstration, take a look at Lining Pans with Parchment on Good Life Eats.) Lightly grease the paper with butter.
- Place candy potato on a small baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake till tender, about 35–45 minutes (relying on measurement and form of potato). Allow to chill barely.
- Once potato has cooled, take away the pores and skin and minimize into giant chunks. Add potato items to meals processor; course of till clean and no chunks stay. Measure 2/three cup of the puree; if there’s any puree remaining, reserve it for one thing else or eat it now. It’s scrumptious!
- Transfer puree to a small saucepan. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, and allspice till well-combined. Stir in heavy cream and warmth on medium, persevering with to stir. Bring to a simmer and put aside.
- In a heavy Four-quart saucepan, stir collectively sugar, corn syrup, maple syrup, and water with a picket spoon and convey to a boil over medium-high warmth. Use a heat-proof pastry brush dipped in heat water to brush sugar crystals from facet of saucepan. Once combination has come to a boil, place sweet thermometer into sugar combination and proceed to cook dinner till temperature reaches 244°F (don’t stir it!). Remove from warmth.
- Gradually (and punctiliously!) add cream combination to sugar combination, stirring as your pour. The combination will bubble up at this level, so please watch out and pour the cream in slowly. Return to a boil, then cut back warmth to medium-low. Continue cooking till combination reaches 240°F (this might take as much as 30 minutes). As temperature rises, start to stir extra often.
- Once caramel combination reaches 240°F, take away saucepan from warmth. Stir in butter and and lemon juice till well-combined. Pour into lined baking dish. (If you’re topping your caramels with nuts, salt, or pepitas, press them into the highest of the caramel after it has cooled for about 15 minutes.) Cool to room temperature earlier than reducing into particular person items. (I minimize them into 36, however make them as massive or as small as you want!) Wrap in waxed paper and retailer in an air tight container or refrigerate.
Note that caramels are very temperamental–an excessive amount of humidity, sugar crystals on the facet of the pan, and even slight variations in temperature could make them too laborious, too tender, or crystallized.