I by no means want an excuse to go to bakery. I would go there to get one thing for a meal, however I gained’t depart with out a tarte tatin or eclair. In in search of new and other ways to make use of pesto, I wished to do one thing sandwichy. Yes, it’s a phrase! Sandwichy! For this recipe, I purchased a crusty loaf of sourdough bread from our native French bakery, after which yellow squash, zucchini, and portabella mushrooms from the grocery retailer. I had pesto, Parmesan cheese, and an onion available. Because roasting is just about my default manner of getting ready greens, I assumed I’d marinate the veggies in a pesto and olive oil combination after which throw them within the oven till they received all caramelized and scrumptious. If you favor grilling your greens, that might work too, in fact—I imply, mainly the concept is to prepare dinner the greens earlier than placing them on the sandwich, you recognize?
These sandwiches are sure to grow to be a weekend staple in our family. Most Saturdays, we swing by the farmers market to select up recent veggies and the bakery is on the best way residence. And on Saturdays, we’re normally so busy, the very last thing we wish to do is spend an hour or two getting ready dinner. These sandwiches are straightforward, recent, and engaging—does it get any higher than that?
Pesto-Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
Pesto-marinated greens are roasted within the oven after which grilled on sourdough bread with Parmesan cheese—tremendous straightforward and tremendous scrumptious!
- Prep Time: Four hours 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 5 hours
- Yield: 5 sandwiches
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, reduce into 1/Four-inch thick rings
- 1 small zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced lengthwise
- 1 massive portabella mushroom, sliced into 1/Four-inch vast strips
- salt and pepper, to style
- eight slices sourdough bread
- half of cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Whisk collectively pesto and olive oil in a big baking dish. Add greens and toss to coat. Let greens marinate for three–Four hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place greens on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30–35 minutes, or till greens are tender and onions are starting to brown.
- Heat panini grill to medium-high. Top 4 slices of bread with 2 tablespoons of cheese after which divide roasted veggies evenly among the many bread slices. Top every sandwich with one other slice of bread and place sandwiches on panini grill. Grill till cheese has melted and bread is crispy, about 10–12 minutes.