This is the third recipe on Oh My Veggies that begins with the phrases “fresh corn.” I assumed of some alternate names after I spotted that, however Fresh Corn Soup with Herbed Croutons suits so significantly better. Because it’s recent! It’s not a heavy corn chowder. It’s a lightweight soup. Perfect for summer season. And it’s made with recent corn—each the kernels and the cobs. The candy broth comprised of simmering the cobs with thyme and water is the key to the recent taste of this soup.
And actually, recent is one of the best a part of summer season, isn’t it? I’m not a fan of the humidity or mosquitos or sunburn, however I really like recent fruit and veggies. It’s so thrilling to go to the farmers market and be greeted by colourful heirloom tomatoes and strawberries as an alternative of the ocean of inexperienced that dominates in spring. (Although I like greens too!) And I’ve been loving the truth that I can get (virtually) all of the recent herbs I would like from the herb backyard we put in final month.
About the Recipe
I used a mixture of oregano, dill, lemon thyme, chives, rosemary, and sage within the herbed croutons for this soup, however you should use no matter recent herbs you could have entry to. And should you don’t have an herb backyard, nicely, don’t go to the grocery retailer and purchase six totally different packages of recent herbs! That could be ridiculously costly. Just use thyme because you’ll be needing to purchase that for the broth anyway.
Oftentimes once I’m making a soup recipe that requires croutons, I skip making them. But I implore you, don’t do this with this recipe! The soup is creamy and scrumptious with out them, however the croutons are the final touch that makes all of the distinction. Between the recent corn soup and the recent herbed croutons, this recipe is one of the best of summer season (in a soup bowl).
Fresh Corn Soup with Herbed Croutons
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: four
- 1/three cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped recent herbs (any herbs will do)
- salt and pepper, to style
- 5 cups cubed bread (I used sourdough)
Fresh Corn Soup
- 6 ears of recent corn, husked and de-kerneled (don’t discard the cobs!)
- 2 sprigs recent thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to style
For Herbed Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk collectively olive oil, recent herbs, salt and pepper in a big bowl. Add cubed bread to bowl and toss to coat. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or till baked by way of and golden brown. Set apart.
For Fresh Corn Soup
- Place corn cobs and thyme in a big pot or Dutch oven and canopy with water. Bring to a boil, then scale back warmth to low. Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Reserve three/four of corn kernels; puree the remainder in a blender or meals processor till utterly easy.
- Once broth is completed, take away cobs and thyme sprigs and pour by way of a high quality mesh strainer right into a heat-proof bowl. Set apart.
- Return pot or Dutch oven to medium-high warmth. Add olive oil and swirl to coat. Once oil has heated, add reserved corn kernels. Saute 2–three minutes or till simply starting to brown, stirring often. Reduce warmth to medium. Add corn puree and prepare dinner three minutes extra or till thickened, stirring always. Add corn broth and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Ladle into bowls and high with a small handful of herbed croutons.
If you don’t use all of the croutons, retailer them in an hermetic container or zip-top bag and use them inside per week or freeze.
- Serving Size: About 1 cup of soup
This recipe was initially revealed on 11 June 2012.