In case you have been questioning, I’m nonetheless doing Weight Watchers (and I’ve misplaced 10 kilos—yay me!). It simply feels bizarre to put in writing about it on a regular basis right here. Anyway! I sometimes discover it simple to stay to the plan for breakfast and dinner, and I’m not a lot of a snacker, in order that’s not an issue both. But lunch has been tough. I don’t like frozen meals and I’m not an enormous salad eater. I did sandwiches for some time, however I burnt out on these. I like some canned soups, however I’m attempting to keep away from them due to the entire BPA factor. When lunchtime rolls round, it’s normally, “Oh, what I’m going to eat? I guess I’ll have some potato chips and a tangerine.” So I’m not a lot over-eating with regards to lunch—it’s principally simply that I’m consuming odd issues. Things that don’t actually represent a meal.
Not having time to whip up one thing from scratch every day, I’ve discovered good resolution has been to make an enormous batch of soup on Sundays to eat in the course of the work week. Soup is straightforward to warmth up and I can have it with some fruit and one in all my No-Bake Molasses Bites and it’s a filling (regular! non-potato chip!) meal.
After a couple of weeks of varied lentil soups, I’ve moved onto Asian-inspired ones. Last week, I discovered a recipe for Coconut-Lime Chicken Noodle Soup in Everyday Food (which apparently is so new, it’s not even up on Martha Stewart’s web site but–sorry, no hyperlink!) and I made a decision to adapt it to my tastes and weight loss plan to make Coconut-Lime Tofu Soup. I took out the rooster and noodles and added tofu and mushrooms as a substitute. As I squeezed the lime juice into the pot, I used to be fearful that the soup could be too lime-y for me, nevertheless it labored—it jogs my memory of the coconut soup that comes with the lunch particular at our native Thai restaurant.
Coconut-Lime Tofu Soup
An Asian-inspired vegetarian soup with a coconut-lime broth, recent mushrooms, and cubes of tofu. Adapted from Everyday Food’s Coconut-Lime Chicken Noodle Soup.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: four servings
- three half cup vegetable broth
- 2-inch piece recent ginger, peeled and lower into 1/four inch rounds
- 1 (13.5 oz) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 (14 oz) package deal additional agency tofu, drained, pressed at the very least 30 minutes (you should utilize a tofu press), and cubed
- eight ozbutton mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 tbsp recent lime juice (about three limes)
- three tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tsp gentle brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced, seeds eliminated
- three/four cup packed recent cilantro leaves
- Combine broth and ginger in a big pot and produce to a boil over excessive warmth. Reduce warmth to medium, cowl, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk to broth; return to a simmer. Stir in tofu and mushrooms; prepare dinner three minutes, or till mushrooms are tender. Add lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, jalapeno, and half cup of cilantro leaves to pot; prepare dinner 1 minute extra.
- Garnish bowls with remaining cilantro.